Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] "wiretap"' utility

From: Joerg Mayer <jmayer@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2002 17:51:00 +0100
On Thu, Dec 12, 2002 at 03:43:23PM +0100, olivier.parisot@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> I would like to know what is the utility of the source files in "wiretap" directory. Do they make the same work as LIBPCAP?

What wiretap does:
- read many kinds of capture files
- write some of the types it can read

What wiretap doesn't do:
- capture data itself. Is uses libpcap in order to do so.

It was once planned to add capture support, but that changed when libpcap
became visibly maintained and improvements to libpcap started to come in
again.

 ciao
    Jörg
--
Joerg Mayer                                          <jmayer@xxxxxxxxx>
I found out that "pro" means "instead of" (as in proconsul). Now I know