Ethereal-dev: RE: [Ethereal-dev] FW1 monitor dissector patch for additional column

From: "Yaniv Kaul" <ykaul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2002 09:44:11 +0200
The same packet will most likely appear several times, especially if it
passed the FW. FW monitor (until FW-1 NG FP3), would place 'fw monitor' in 4
locations:
1. Before the FW's virtual machine, inbound direction ('i')
2. After the FW's virtual machine, inbound direction ('I')
3. Before the FW's virtual machine, outbound direction ('o')
4. After the FW's virtual machine, outbound direction ('O').

Therefore, a packet that was not manipulated (encrypted, NAT, etc.), and was
accepted, will be seen multiple times.

In FP3 and above, the ability to place the monitoring anywhere in the chain
was added.

HTH,
Y.