Ethereal-dev: RE: [Ethereal-dev] Problems compiling ethereal 0.9.8 under MacOS X

From: "Esh, Andrew" <AEsh@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 9 Dec 2002 15:16:40 -0600
Title: RE: [Ethereal-dev] Problems compiling ethereal 0.9.8 under MacOS X

Wow! There must be something in the coffee.

I'm sorry, but I am unable to understand anything you wrote
in your last message, because of your use of this "word":
                                                    vvvvvvv
  "character string literal, optionally enclosed in braches."

:)

Oh, BTW, I just noticed that in my last message that I forgot to include
a pair of curly braces around the initialization in the example I
gave. I apologize to anyone who may have become seriously confused
by this unintended omission. I was working from memory, not having ready
access to a large library of reference material.

:)

I was trying to point out that a character array should be initialized
with an array of characters. Even though it is legal and useful in some
circles to use the character string shorthand, this sometimes leads to
source code which appears differently than it compiles. I am always an
advocate of source code that is correct in the eyes of the reader, no
matter what the rules "allow". I prefer compilers that warn when there
is a possibility that I have left something uninitialized, or ambiguously
defined.

*Confusion* could result unless *everything* is made *perfectly* clear!

:) :) :)