Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] [Patch] revised: tap-tcp_close

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 4 Dec 2002 00:30:07 -0800
On Wed, Dec 04, 2002 at 07:20:50PM +1100, Ronnie Sahlberg wrote:
> Instead of waiting until all dissectors have returned until the tap
> listeners are called
> I think the tap listeners should be called immediately from the dissectors.
> That would remove the need to do the rotating struct trick in dissect_tcp().
> This would also get rid of the list handling in tap.c since the list would
> become obsolete.

It would also let you pass the tap listener a pointer to the top-level
protocol tree item for the dissector, so that it could

	1) extract from the tree fields that weren't in the data
	   structure supplied by the dissector (assuming there is such a
	   data structure)

or

	2) add things *to* the tree, as I think was suggested by
	   somebody (Jason House?) at one point.

Passing the epan_dissect_t might not be useful except for tap listeners
not tapping off of a dissector, as the protocol tree wouldn't be
complete; those listeners might be called after the entire dissection is
complete.