Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Re: compiling on MS Visual C für Microsoft

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2001 14:41:38 -0800 (PST)
> On Wed, Oct 31, 2001 at 12:37:14PM -0800, Bernd Noth wrote:
> >    1.)  from which *.zip or well as file from the developer - area is it,
> >    I don't find it!!
>
> The .tar.gz source distribution contains this file (as does CVS).  You
> can open these files with WinZip.

Or, to put it another way, you obviously need the source code in order
to compile Ethereal, and "config.nmake" comes with the source code.

> >    2.) " command-line environment is set up to compile and link with MSVC
> >    "  is this not  described in the make file?
>
> Typically you would use the Platform SDK or the batch file
> "vcvars32.bat" to establish your compilation environment.  You cannot
> open these Makefiles as projects in VC6 if that's what you're thinking.

Actually, I've created "Makefile projects", or whatever it's called, in
the past; you don't get all the whizzo stuff you get with other types of
projects, but you can use the GUI to compile stuff if that's what you
like.  (I just use the Boring Old Command Line.)