Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] FT_UINT64 patch

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2001 14:01:52 -0800 (PST)
> (interestingly, packet-diameter.c used to use guint64 and no one  complained
> that ethereal didnt compile, does this mean that gcc is the only compiler
> used on unix hosts today?)

No.  Uwe Girlich built Ethereal on some MIPS-based Siemens Nixdorf
machines with a compiler that didn't support "long long".

Most compilers on UNIX hosts support "long long", even if not GCC, and
people *do* compile Ethereal with those non-GCC compilers.

> No dissector in ethereal use tvb_get_ntohll() since it requires
> guint64 which is not available on all platforms. I suggest that
> the 64bit accessors from epan/tvbuff.c be removed.

I've just removed them.

If we ever decide that we no longer care about platforms that lack
64-bit integer support, we can bring them back, although we'd still have
to continue to use "u64toa()" and "u64toh()", or put some crud into the
autoconfigure script to figure out what format is used in "printf" for
64-bit integers (or decide that we no longer care about UNIX platforms
that don't use "%ll[douxX]" - some BSDs that don't document it support
it nevertheless, along with "%q[douxX]" - and use "ll" on UNIX and "I64"
or whatever the Microsoft C library supports on Windows).