Ethereal-dev: [Ethereal-dev] Re: Problems compiling ethereal on a HP-UX 10.20 System

From: Gerald Combs <gerald@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 15:16:39 -0500 (CDT)
On Wed, 24 Oct 2001, Jefferson F. Moreira wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I´m trying to compile ethereal on a HP-UX 10.20.
> I already tried versions 0.8.19 and 0.8.20 and both give me
> the message (whiling running MAKE):
>
> "Make: Macro expansion too big. Stop."
>
> Any hints????

Apparently the HP-UX version of 'make' doesn't like one of the macro
definitions in the makefile.  A few of them are absolutely huge
(DISSECTOR_SRC in particular).  If you have GNU make installed you might
try using it instead; it seems to be able to handle the makefile just
fine.  If you don't, you might be able to break up some of the larger
macros, e.g. split DISSECTOR_SRC into DISSECTOR_SRC1 and DISSECTOR_SRC2,
and update the makefile accordingly everywhere DISSECTOR_SRC appears.