Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] too long arguments passed from Makefile.nmake

From: Hamish Moffatt <hamish@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2001 00:28:57 +1000
On Sat, Oct 13, 2001 at 09:42:01PM +0900, Motonori Shindo wrote:
> I don't know since when but becuase we now have so many dissectors
> hence packet-*.c, nmake.exe can't generate register.c, complaining
> about too long arguments being passed and can't invoke Python (or a
> shell) from nmake (Please refer to the following portion of
> Makefile.nmake).

I saw this problem recently when trying to modify and recompile
0.8.15. So it has existed at least since then.

> One way to solve this problem is to change make-reg-dotc.py (and also
> make-reg-dotc shell script) to have them extract the packet*.c file
> inside the script. Another way might be to split DISSECTOR_SRC into
> two (e.g. DISSECTOR_SRC1 and DISSECTOR_SRC2) and modify
> make-reg.dotc[.py] so that it can append the output to register.c each
> time it is executed. Well, it seems neither of them is elegant. If
> anyone has more elegant idea, I'd love to hear that.

Is it necessary to list all the files on the script command line,
or would it be enough to use a wildcard eg packet*.c? Then the script
would expand on the wildcard.

Should the default in config.nmake be the shell script instead of Python?
The Win32 builder is more likely to have Cygwin installed than Python,
although neither are standard.

regards
Hamish
--