Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] New dissector: SCCP

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2001 10:15:30 -0700
On Mon, Oct 08, 2001 at 06:27:56PM +0200, Joerg Mayer wrote:
> Looked good to me on first glance, but I have some second thoughts:
> What I intend to do is add another column to the table (dissector
> function). I want to run the whole thing as table driven as possible
> as I prefer large tables and lots of small functions to the large
> switch statement approach (actually, it's an experiment ;-)

Well, you could have two tables - perhaps not as convenient as you'd
like, but having a "value_string" table to map values to names means you
can use that table in a registered field, allowing people to, when
constructing a filter to match values of the field in question, specify
the value by name rather than specifying its numerical value.