Join us June 15-20 for SharkFest'24 US, the official Wireshark Developer & User Conference

Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] warning patches

From: Joerg Mayer <jmayer@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2001 22:59:30 +0200
On Thu, Jul 12, 2001 at 06:01:34PM -0700, Guy Harris wrote:
> Checked in (although with "-Wno-unused", to reduce the noise level a
> bit; I'm tempted to add a configuration option to turn off both "-W" and
> "-Wno-unused", so I can do a build that'll check for unused *variables*
> without spamming me with a zillion complaints about unused *parameters*
> - there's an __attribute__ option to mark parameters as unused, but
> there'd have to be a lot of that shoveled in to squelch the complaints
> about unused parameters).

Actually you may not need to do that: gcc 3.0 has proper warning options
for each individual unused type. So if you are willing to wait for
succ(3.0.0) or switch to 3.0.0 now you ... hmm, think ... could just
add a configure check for 3.0 and add the proper options there :-)
On the other hand: If you tell me more about the __attribute__ solution,
I don't mind handling it that way - it will just take a few weeks but
who cares.

> BTW, we're currently checking for "__GNUC__ == 2" to decide whether to
> include "__attribute__((format (printf, N, M)))" items; should that be
> changed to "__GNUC__ >= 2" for GCC 3.0, or is __GNUC__ defined as 2 in
> GCC 3.0?

__GNUC__ is set to 3, so the change from ==  to >= is needed.

   Ciao
         Joerg
--
Joerg Mayer                                          <jmayer@xxxxxxxxx>
I found out that "pro" means "instead of" (as in proconsul). Now I know