Join us June 15-20 for SharkFest'24 US, the official Wireshark Developer & User Conference

Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] patch for packet-isis.c and friends

From: Stuart Stanley <stuarts@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2001 09:26:46 -0500

--On Sunday, July 1, 2001 5:25 PM -0700 Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Sat, Jun 30, 2001 at 09:55:16PM +1000, Ronnie Sahlberg wrote:
Attached is a patch that tvbuffifies packet-isis.c and friends.

Checked in...

The patch is not tested since I have no access to any isis captures.

Could anyone please test this patch?

That raises a question - why does ISIS treat the various PDU types as
subprotocols in the first place?  Is this just because they're dissected
by code in separate source files, with each file registering its own set
of fields?  If so, perhaps we should arrange that multiple calls to
"proto_register_field_array()" be allowed for a protocol, with new calls
adding additional fields, and get rid of the subprotocol stuff, putting
it all under ISIS.

For better or for worse, I get to say I wrote that stuff.  It was back
a job and about 1.5 years, and I really can't remember why I did things
one way vs other.  Most likely, it was just ignorance, since it was
my first code within the ethereal infra-structure.  I know that in general
I liked to break individual PDU stuff into sub-files, since they tend
to have weird little differences in intepretation.  I think I also
liked being able to "twiddle the little arrow thing that expands/
contracts a section" for each item, but I can't remember if that actually
impacts this :).

I hope that helps some.  If you want, I could pull a copy and look through
it to see if I can figure out my own reasons a little better?  Otherwise,
do what makes sense!

--
Life is something set to music; I can hear it     | Stuart Stanley
when I'm sad. There's a chord in every muscle,    | stuarts@xxxxxxxxx