Ethereal-dev: [Ethereal-dev] Problems capturing on networks other of my own?

From: "Yaniv Kaul" <ykaul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 19:37:57 +0200
Win32/0.8.1.6/WinPcap2.1/Win2KSP1:
I have a laptop on subnet 10.10.X/24, I took it to subnet 10.10.Y/24,
withouth changing its IP I tried to snoop on connections with 'host
10.10.Y.2 or 10.10.Y.3' - In TCP, all I got were connections that originated
or destined to one of those hosts, but that their peer was on 10.10.X/24.
Couldn't get even a single TCP packet between them, though connections were
flying between the two. Seemed like Ethereal/WinPcap had to have one of the
IPs in TCP on its subnet (which was not valid at the moment the capture took
place).
Any ideas?
With MS Network Monitor (on another laptop) it worked fine.
I was using a hub of course, no VLANs.

Also, I suspect 'present' for RST flag in TCP as a display filter does not
work. I had to use ==1 to get the filter working correctly.