Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] PCAP undefined link type

From: "Peter Dons Tychsen" <donpedro@xxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 01:01:33 +0100
Here is the problem.

I have created the software which makes sniffing possible on the router.

The software MUST and CAN trace from different layers of the stack.

Here is an example: V11 cable, running HDLC encapsulating PPP.
On the link the PPP encapsulates IP and IPX traffic when IP and IPX routing
over the link is enabled.

If sniffing on the HDLC layer, no problem as other router software tell me
it is HDLC when my software gets the packet. I set output as HDLC in PCAP
output.
If sniffing on the PPP layer, no problem as other router software tell me it
is PPP when my software gets the packet. I set output as PPP in PCAP output.

---> BUT! If sniffing on the link payload..... i only get an indication that
it is "Multi Protocol Link", which could be any kind of traffic capable of
tunneling inside PPP or different link type (Ethernet (bridging ethernet),
IPX, IP and some other stuff)).

If there was a type called PCAP_UNKOWN_LINK_PAYLOAD or something like this,
then ethereal could try and guess the contents of these packets. But maybe
there is not. Maybe it would be smarter if i made a mini analyzer, to
determine the type before i save my stuff.

/Peter