Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] corrected graphing patch

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 11:46:21 -0800 (PST)
> So your suggestion is the left button selects, the middle button zooms
> and right button moves?

I suggest that the left button should select.  Whether the middle or
right button zooms probably doesn't matter, as neither zooming nor
moving have standard buttons the way selecting does.

(Presumably, the UI will still work, although less conveniently, with
one-button and two-button mice; there are users of Ethereal on Windows
who may have two-button mice, and, assuming GNU libtool ever learns how
to cope with MacOS X, there may well be, at some point, users of
Ethereal on MacOS X who have one-button mice.)

> I don't know, I thought I would leave these decisions up to the users.

Unless you disable *all* mouse button actions until the user explicitly
specifies what buttons they want, you can't just "leave these decisions
up to the users", you have to pick a default; as far as I'm concerned,
the default should be that the left mouse button selects.