Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] shared libraries

From: Gilbert Ramirez <gilramir@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2001 09:52:17 -0600
Ed Warnicke wrote:

> Is there a reason that libethereal, libdfilter, libftypes, libwiretap,
> and libui aren't being built and installed as shared libraries?
>
> I know there is some mention of doing this in the epan directory,
> but I was wondering if there was a good reason this hadn't been done yet.
>
> Ed

There's no reason not to ship wiretap as a shared libary.
Libethereal, however, still needs a little cleanup. There are some
functions
that it uses that are in the dissectors code. I tried it one time, but
I don't remember exactly which functions. It had to do with address
types
used in packet.c that exist in the dissectors.

Hmm, maybe some better documentation on how to use wiretap would be
good.
Once its a shared library, there's a better chance that other projects
will
want to use it.

libdfilter and libftypes were meant to always be archives. When
libethereal
is a shared library, libftypes and libdfilter will be archives of PIC
objects
that are linked into libethereal.

Libui was also never meant to be a shared library.

--gilbert