Ethereal-dev: RE: [Ethereal-dev] VJ compressed PPP packets ??

From: Jeff Foster <jfoste@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2001 10:47:02 -0600
Attempt #2:

I have changed the basic concept from byte view to data source. I
think this is a better indication of the concept that there are
multiple data items. The current changes that I plan -

1) Modified the tvbuff struct to add the ds_name -

#define DS_NAME_LEN 64

	gchar ds_name[ DS_NAME_LEN];

2) The tvb_new_real_data function is changed to add a ds_name field

tvbuff_t*
tvb_new_real_data( const guint8* data, guint length,
	gint reported_length, const gchar* ds_name);

3) The tvb_new_subset function has been changed to copy the ds_name.

4) Add a function to extract the ds_name pointer

gchar*
tvb_get_name( tvbuff_t* tvb);

5) Add a ds_name field to the field_info struct

	gchar ds_name[ DS_NAME_LEN];

6) Modified the frame_data struct to hold the data source list. I used
the frame_data struct because it is stored in the clist data pointer.
The display code can access this list to create the byte view tabs.

	GSList *data_src;

	I have considered GSList, and GPtrArray.  I don't know which is
best.

7) Change dissect_packet to create the tvbuff with the name "raw".

Your feedback is welcome.  I will post more information as the work
progresses.

Jeff Foster.