Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] ethereal crash

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 3 Mar 2001 16:37:12 -0800
On Sat, Mar 03, 2001 at 11:08:29PM +0200, Paul Ionescu wrote:
> I have attached to this email a small capture that crashes the ethereal.

Which version, and on what platform?  It didn't crash when I tried the
current CVS version of Ethereal on FreeBSD 3.4/x86.

> The capture is made of 4 incomplete ipx eigrp packets.
> I don't know where am I wrong in coding the eigrp dissector.
> The eigrp dissector is made using tvbuffs and was not supposed to crash.

The mere fact that a dissector uses tvbuffs is insufficient to render it
crash-proof; it merely reduces the chances that a crash will be caused
by the dissector running past the end of the packet and trying to
dissect whatever stuff is there (it doesn't eliminate it, as somebody
could, for example, use "tvb_get_ptr()" and then try to refer to stuff
past the length specified as the third argument to "tvb_get_ptr()").

What is the stack trace from the crash?