Ethereal-dev: RE: [Ethereal-dev] Registering nonstandard protocol ports w/o rec ompi ling

From: Biot Olivier <Olivier.Biot@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2001 16:43:10 +0100
The problem with WAP is that with these redirects the only thing you know
will remain the same is the destination socket (not necessarily the source
!).  But with this conversation trick, you will never be able to parse
packets if you start to capture *after* the redirect occurred.  With WAP
this redirect might only happen once a month or once a year or even worse...

If the redirect ports are known, then it is not really very difficult to
incorporate them into the port registration code by means of the proposed
tokenizer code.  Or I have to be able to choose a dissector for a selected
packet in ethereal...

Any other solutions are welcome!

Regards,

Olivier