Ethereal-dev: Re: [ethereal-dev] Libtool changes checked in

Date: Tue, 28 Dec 1999 18:22:40 +0900
>> 	If you have aclocal (= autoconf) you are required to have
>> 	automake macro that tests for libtool (AM_xx_LIBTOOL).
>> 	Since the macro is included in libtool, the requirement would be like:
>> 	1. install gtk
>> 	2. if you have any of autoconf/automake/libtool, be sure to get all
>> 	   these guys.  if you have none of them, that's fine.
>Is that true if you only plan to compile and install from source, and
>don't plan to change "Makefile.am", "configure.in", etc.?

	I'm one of developer so I'm supposed to change those:-), but this time
	I did not change anything.  since "configure" is not in cvs tree
	I need to generate "configure" script, I needed to generate it
	by my own.

>"autoconf"
>etc.  are supposed to produce configure scripts, etc.  that don't
>require you to have "autoconf", "automake", etc.  around - and, when I
>tried building from a distribution tarball with "autoconf" and
>"automake" installed, but without "libtool" installed, it seemed to
>work.

	For non-developers who grabbed tar.gz file, I hope so.

	From my past experience with automake-generated Makefile, I tend to
	believe that aclocal, autoheader and other tools will be mistakingly
	invoked by some file timestamp skew if you have those tools.  If any
	of those tools get called, it is required to have libtool.

itojun