Ethereal-dev: Re: [ethereal-dev] ethereal-0.7.9 on redhat 6.0 i386

From: "Marty Leisner" <leisner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 1999 18:34:17 -0500
I'm very impressed by it.

I did a lot of work decoding SMB, rfc1001 and netbeui packets (and
gave my work to the tcpdump guys several years ago...never saw it
make it in a newer distribution...
(it seems tcpdump is dead).

Turns out I had ucd-snmp-3.5 in /usr/local/lib and ucd-snmp-3.6.1 in /usr/lib.

I'm seeing lots of core dumps...
How have ethereal setuid root.   How do I have setuid programs
drop a core again? (I forgot the rules...)

> > I don't understand the -L/usr/include/pcap line
>
> The configure script assumes, for whatever reason, that if the "pcap.h"
> header file is in "/usr/include/pcap", the libraries will be there as
> well.  Is there a "/usr/include/pcap/pcap.h" file on your machine, and,
> if so, where is the "libpcap" library file?

Yes, on redhat the libpcap is in /usr/lib.