Ethereal-dev: Re: [ethereal-dev] Segfault

From: Gilbert Ramirez <gram@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 1999 12:09:28 -0600
On Sun, Dec 12, 1999 at 10:33:09AM -0600, Nathan Neulinger wrote:
> James Coe wrote:
> >
> > I've found a program which generates bad packets to test networks and ip
> > stacks. The packets it generates cause Ethereal to consistently segfault
> > on my box when I run tcpsic -s 10.122.0.2 -d 10.122.0.3. I've attached
> > the tarred and gzipped archive of the program to this message.
> >
> > Jamie Coe.

> >                               Name: isic-0.03.tar.gz
> >    isic-0.03.tar.gz           Type: Unix Tape Archive (application/x-tar)
> >                           Encoding: base64
> >                    Download Status: Not downloaded with message
> I tried the program and was ethereal seemed to handle everything fine,
> no crashes. Which version are you running?
>
> Can you run ethereal like this:
>
> 	ethereal -k -i eth0 -w /path/to/a/capture/file.cap
>
> And get it to crash, if you can, send the capture file. (gzipped) Now,
> are you sure ethereal isn't just crashing because it's running out of
> memory? Those isic/tcpsic/etc. programs seem to generate packets at a
> phenomenal rate, which will likely cause ethereals memory usage to shoot
> through the roof very quickly. I've got a couple hundred meg of swap
> configured and 128mb of real memory to protect against stuff like that.

And if a trace is hard to get or send (the trace file might be
large; the CVS version of Ethereal lets you save portions of a trace
file, but version 0.7.9 and earlier don't), just a backtrace from
the resulting core file would help. See the README file for
short instructions on producing this.

--gilbert