Ethereal-dev: Re: [ethereal-dev] Minor bug fix and enhancement [Patch included]

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 1999 13:03:24 -0800 (PST)
> Thanks for the patch. Actually, it was a decision on Gerald's part a long long
> time ago to not show the lines in the GTK Tree.

Yup.  The reason why Ethereal's behavior changed with more recent
versions of GTK+ 1.2[.x] is that there was a bug in older versions of
1.2[.x] (1.0[.x] didn't have the bug) where you *couldn't* turn the
lines off; the presence of the lines annoyed me (I'm more used to
NetMon, whose equivalent display has no lines, than to, say, NetXRay,
whose equivalent display, I think, has the lines), so I tracked down the
bug and fixed it, and sent the fix off to the GTK+ folks, who picked it
up.

If there are those who prefer the lines, it should be an option.