Ethereal-dev: Re: [ethereal-dev] New dissector question

From: Gilbert Ramirez <gram@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 07 Dec 1999 18:51:09 -0600
On Tue, Dec 07, 1999 at 07:31:50PM -0500, Steve Limkemann wrote:
> On Tue, 7 Dec 1999, Gilbert Ramirez wrote:
>
> > Okay, we'll go ahead and include it in the Etheral source tree.
> > I would like to change the prefix you used for the protocol, though, since
> > "g" is rather generic. Do you prefer "gryph" or "gryphon" as
> > the prefix.
>
>   Thanks.  I am willing to maintain the files as ethereal and the Gryphon
> protocol evolve.  Although I use ethereal myself and want to keep up to
> date with it, I would rather not read this list on a regular basis.  If we
> could work out some mechanism for you to inform me of ethereal changes
> that would require changes to the dissector I would appreciate it.  For

As long as your e-mail address is in packet-gryphon.c, I think we
could manage to send you important info. Especially when an Ethereal
build breaks because of new changes that are required in packet-gryphon.c

> changes that I make to support protocol evolution, I could post the
> updated versions to my ftp site and inform someone of their availability.
> (Would patches be preferred?)

Yes, patches sent to ethereal-dev would be best.

>   The protocol was designed with alignment problems in mind.  As long as
> the packet is aligned on a 32 bit boundary, everything should be
> fine.  (AFAIK the TCP/IP header is a factor of 4 bytes long.)  If you
> still think this is a problem, let me know and I'll correct the calls.

It would be best to change the code.  The trace could be of someone
connecting over FDDI to a router connected to the ethernet segment on
which your gryphon box resides. FDDI, having an odd number of bytes in
the header, would cause alignment problems.

(I assume your product allows this)

--gilbert