Ethereal-dev: Re: [ethereal-dev] misc. suggestions for go to frame

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 5 Dec 1999 15:14:09 -0800
> go to frame - add a shortcut

"Shortcut" as in "accelerator", e.g. control-G, which isn't taken yet?

I'll check that in.

> go to frame - take focus in entry area when bringing up window
> go to frame - accept 'enter/return' as submitting the request

Isn't GTK+ wonderful?  I'll have to check into what needs to be done to
make it do that, assuming the mere presence of an entry area renders it
incapable of treating <Enter> as meaning "activate the default button"
even if you're in a GtkEntry widget rather than a GtkText widget (where
<Enter> has to mean "insert a newline").

(It'd be even more wonderful if it could be arranged that <Esc> means
"activate the Cancel button of a dialog box" in GTK+; given that <Esc>F
does *NOT* appear to mean "next word" in that GtkEntry widget, this
presumably isn't another consequence of trying to provide EMACS-like key
bindings, as UNIX Netscape's use of <Alt>+{C,V,X} instead of
<Ctrl>+{C,V,X} and *lack* of use of <Alt> to introduce a mnemonic to
e.g. pop up menus from the menu bar apparently is.)

You can, at least, tab to the entry area to give it the focus, and then
tab out of the entry area to give the "OK" button the focus, and hit
<Enter> then.  Far from idea, but at least you can get *something* done
from the keyboard.

(And don't get me started on Motif/GTK+ option menus; Windows uses
"non-editable combo box" for those, meaning you can actually select an
item with the keyboard, but, unless I haven't learned the Magic Trick
for that, there's no way to control an option menu from the keyboard.
It's at time annoying that UNIX, home of folks who like keyboards, often
doesn't do as good a job as does Windows as letting you drive a GUI from
the keyboard....

And then there's the joy of a Really Long Option Menu, which involves
cascading menus, which are sometimes hyper-sensitive, and really hard to
select from; at least a non-editable combo box drops down a scroll bar.
One should avoid those, but if you work at a company whose Web form for
requesting vacation time has, both for employeee and manager names, a
big selectable list of *every single employee in the company*, and that
company has recently hired its *thousandth* employee, you get stuck with
Really Long Option Menus if you try using UNIX Netscape for that form,
and you find yourself grateful that you don't happen to be running UNIX
on your desktop....)