Ethereal-dev: Re: [ethereal-dev] Checked in code to write "snoop" and NetMon capture files

From: Gilbert Ramirez <gram@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 04 Dec 1999 00:12:24 -0600
On Fri, Dec 03, 1999 at 09:20:30PM -0800, Guy Harris wrote:

> NetMon didn't like the NFS packets from Gilbert's capture any more than
> "snoop" or Ethereal did.  Current score: network analyzers 3, Linux
> 2.2.14-pre10 NFS client code 0. :-)

I see that 2.2.14-pre11 is out now, but the notes didn't mention any
fix to my problem, as far as I could tell. I posted my report to
linux-kernel, but have received no feedback yet. Unless I get a fix
over the weekend, I'll test pre11 at work on Monday.

I enjoyed working with Ethereal today on the 14MB file. The ethereal
process used about 80 MB of memory, and was a bit slow, but usable.
The colorization routines helped out alot, especially being able to
set color by any arbitrary display filter. What I sorely missed
was the ability to filter on FT_STRINGs, or search within byte ranges.

I would have liked to do:
	nfs.name == "capture_dlg.c"

or search for a string anywhere in the nfs section:
	nfs[0] =~ /capture_dlg\.c/

More stuff for the TODO list...

--gilbert