Ethereal-dev: Re: [ethereal-dev] enhancement idea...

From: Nathan Neulinger <nneul@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 1999 19:00:13 -0600
> An ethereal right-click on a proto_tree item should pop up a menu providing
> at least:
>
> 1. Match selected.
> 2. Copy field abbreviation to X selection ("clipboard")
> 3. Copy match selected filter to X selection
> 4. Add as column (see below)
> 5. Provide the blurb for that field, if it's non-empty.
>
> By #4, I'd like to to be able to add a column to the packet clist
> which shows the value of a field for every packet. If the field does not
> exist for that packet, then the column cell is empty, of course. For
> example, you could set a column to say, ip.frag_offset, and see that
> number in a column for each packet.

I like that idea!

For #5, I was thinking more of displaying EVERYTHING about that field,
not just the blurb - for example, the abbreviation - cause right now,
you can't find that out unless you read the docs.

On the right click idea, some other useful right click operations on the
packet list:
	follow stream
	colorize -> submenu with various colors, how it colorizes depends on
what column you click on - i.e. if you right click on the IP src address
column, the colorize option would match all packets that had that ip src
address, etc.
	print packet
	print stream (implicit follow)

	? move column left
	? move column right  (wish that clist did this by dragging the column
titles)
	? drop column
	? add column - bring up the dialog with the column list

-- Nathan

Nathan Neulinger                       EMail:  nneul@xxxxxxx