Join us June 15-20 for SharkFest'24 US, the official Wireshark Developer & User Conference

Ethereal-dev: Re: [ethereal-dev] Antwort: Re: [ethereal-users] Reading AIX-iptrace on at0

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 1999 01:27:50 -0800 (PST)
> Thanks, yes, I'm starting to understand your trace now. In an iptrace file,
> there's a large field, 16 bytes, which describes the interface. We
> never had any use for before for the other datalink types, but for ATM
> there appears to be needed information in that field, letting us know
> what appears in the traced ATM "packet" (LANE, RFC1483-LLC-encapsulation,
> etc.). The one thing I cannot figure out is which flag designates
> the type of emulated LAN you're running.

Is there a field in there that tends to have the value 2 or 3?

If so, that field *might* indicate the type of traffic:

	1	LAN Emulation control and configuration

	2	Ethernet traffic

	3	TR traffic

	4	Ethernet multicast traffic

	5	TR multicast traffic

as those are the values for the "PID" field in some part of LANE (see
page 43 of

	ftp://ftp.atmforum.com/pub/approved-specs/af-lane-0021.000.pdf

) and are also used as traffic types in ATM Sniffer captures.