Ethereal-dev: Re: [ethereal-dev] AIX: gtk problem solved, now an ethereal problem

From: Gilbert Ramirez <gram@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 1999 12:50:17 -0600
On Wed, Nov 10, 1999 at 11:18:51AM -0600, Craig Rodrigues wrote:

> So after doing all these things, I can compile ethereal and run it.
> I can list the
> correct network interfaces on my system: lo0 and en0.  However,
> when I start capturing packets on en0, they are all of the protocol type
> "TRMAC" and "TR".  The only problem is, I'm not on a Token Ring network.

Libpcap is putting a DLT type of 6 in the capture file, which is IEEE802,
which on other platforms is used to denote token-ring (802.5).
On non-AIX platforms, a DLT type of 1 is used for ethernet.

Let me download the libpcap source to dig into that.

Using AIX's native, hacked tcpdump, with the -w option, can you
correctly read those capture files with ethereal. That is, do they
come up as ethernet?

--gilbert