Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] CentOS 6.3 and DUMPCAP -B option

From: Jeff Morriss <jeff.morriss.ws@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 08 Aug 2012 16:04:38 -0400
John Powell wrote:
*Jeff,* I tried to install a later version of wireshark 1.4 on my 6.3 box but ran into issues with GTK+ and others

checking for GTK+ - version >= 2.4.0... no
*** Could not run GTK+ test program, checking why...
*** The test program failed to compile or link. See the file config.log for the *** exact error that occured. This usually means GTK+ is incorrectly installed. configure: error: GTK+ 2.4 or later isn't available, so Wireshark can't be compiled

    * I am new at the whole linux game, would it be possible for you to
      send me details on how the later version of Wireshark got
      installed on your 6.1 CentOS machine?
    * I am assuming it was installed from source and not from a
      repository, but if it was from a repository could you let me know
      which one?

You'd have to check the config.log to find out the exact reason, but CentOS 6 comes with GTK 2.18.9 so it should be fine. Chances are you're missing the -devel package: "yum install gtk2-devel" to fix that.

(In fact I've also built 1.8.1 on CentOS 6; you might want to consider using this latest/great version too.)

There may be other -devel packages you need too. The Fedora Core 17 Wireshark spec file (which builds 1.6.6) requires all of these packages to build; you don't need all of them (depending on what options you want), but it's a starting point (I added some comments):

BuildRequires:	libpcap-devel >= 0.9
BuildRequires:	libsmi-devel # only needed for SNMP
BuildRequires:	zlib-devel, bzip2-devel
BuildRequires:	openssl-devel # Not used by Wireshark any more
BuildRequires:	glib2-devel, gtk2-devel
BuildRequires:	elfutils-devel, krb5-devel # latter is optional
BuildRequires: python, pcre-devel, libselinux # pcre-devel is optional, don't think you really need libselinux
BuildRequires:	gnutls-devel # only needed if you want to decrypt things
BuildRequires: flex, bison, python, python-devel # python-devel only needed if you want Python scripting support (which doesn't work very well)
BuildRequires:	GeoIP-devel # only if you want GeoIP
BuildRequires:	libcap-devel # only if you want to use Linux Capabilities
BuildRequires:	adns-devel # optional
BuildRequires:	c-ares-devel # optional
BuildRequires:	portaudio-devel # optional
BuildRequires:	lua-devel #optional