Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] CentOS 6.3 and DUMPCAP -B option

From: John Powell <jrp999@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2012 13:36:44 -0600
Guy, Thank you for your suggestion and the information that the -B option first showed up in Wireshark 1.4.0.  That was good to know.  I was fearing I may have to build from source but I am concerned about keeping it updated.

Jeff, I tried to install a later version of wireshark 1.4 on my 6.3 box but ran into issues with GTK+ and others

checking for GTK+ - version >= 2.4.0... no
*** Could not run GTK+ test program, checking why...
*** The test program failed to compile or link. See the file config.log for the
*** exact error that occured. This usually means GTK+ is incorrectly installed.
configure: error: GTK+ 2.4 or later isn't available, so Wireshark can't be compiled
  • I am new at the whole linux game, would it be possible for you to send me details on how the later version of Wireshark got installed on your 6.1 CentOS machine?
  • I am assuming it was installed from source and not from a repository, but if it was from a repository could you let me know which one?
Thanx again everyone - your input is greatly appreciated!

-John