Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] 8-10% packet error/loss is normal wired network?

Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2012 06:57:13 -0700
No, 8 to 10% is not normal, but your display filter is grossly over-counting the packet loss. To start with, by showing both the packet with the "previous segment lost" message and also the retransmission, you're counting each lost packet twice. And then, a single lost packet requires at least three duplicate ACKs before a fast retransmission is generated.

Try filtering on retransmissions only. This will give you a more accurate count of lost packets. By the way, tcp.analysis.retransmission includes fast retransmissions, so you don't have to include tcp.analysis.fast_retransmission as a separate display filter condition.