Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] tshark vs dumpcap

From: Shawn T Carroll <shawnthomascarroll@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2011 07:57:59 -0700 (PDT)
Hi Stuart, I have heard (but not seen myself) that dumpcap has the lowest possibility for bugs or security holes, because it is purely for saving packet captures, and doesn't have code to parse/filter as does tshark, tcpdump, or wireshark.  So I have heard it's a good choice for security reasons or for stability for long-term capture, not sure about for performance.  Good question, I'm curious to see what others say.

Shawn