Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] IPv6 Geo info

From: Gerald Combs <gerald@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 06 Oct 2011 11:13:13 -0700
On 10/6/11 10:32 AM, Gisle Vanem wrote:

> I guess this is as designed. But in 6to4, isn't there a possibility that
> the inner src/dst addresses can have different geo-location than the
> outer addresses? I read in [1]
> about relay/border routers, but failed to grasp all of it.

The IPv6 dissector shouldn't care where in the stack it resides. Do you
have "Enable GeoIP lookups" enabled in the IPv6 protocol preferences?

(...and should that, along with the corresponding IPv4 preference be
enabled by default?)

> Btw. The dst-ip above 192.88.99.1 is an anycast address which should have
> no geo-info AFAICS. So what is the "AS559 SWITCH, Swiss Education and
> Research Network"
> doing there?

Maybe they choose the lowest-numbered AS advertising the route?

  http://bgp.he.net/ip/192.88.99.1