Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Basic question about Wireshark

From: Andreas <AndreasSander1@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2011 18:58:51 +0200
Am 24.07.2011 18:37, schrieb Frank Walter:
Ah, OK, thank you.
So if I want to track the complete network traffic in my network, I need on both a running Wireshark on monitor / promiscuous mode.

Franc, you wrote:
>>> I want to see the data of each other with Wireshark.

If you want to see the (unicast) traffic between your both endpoints you only need one Wireshark instance at one of both PCs. The promiscuous mode is not necessary in this case.

If you want to see what else is on the network (like broadcasts or packets not sent to to your 'other end') you will need Wireshark at both ends when a router or any switching hub is between them.

Helge

-----Urspr�ngliche Nachricht-----