Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Capturing https traffic

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2010 13:12:46 -0700
On Aug 27, 2010, at 1:02 PM, Arya wrote:

> Hello
>
> I have Wireshark 64 bit installed on Windows 7 and I'm unable to capture https traffic with it.

What happens if you try to capture https traffic - for example, if you capture with a capture filter of "tcp port 443"?  Do you see no packets (which means it's not *capturing* https traffic), or do you see packets that Wireshark doesn't dissect as https traffic (which means that it might be *capturing* it, it just might not be *recognizing* it as https traffic)?  It will only recognize https traffic if it's to or from one of the ports specified in the "SSL/TLS Ports" preference for the HTTP dissector; the default setting for that is 443, so only traffic to or from port 443 will be recognized as https traffic.