Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] WS1.2.10; Mac OS X 10.6.4; Quartz 2.5.2; WS did´n come up

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 8 Aug 2010 14:23:13 -0700
On Aug 6, 2010, at 10:39 AM, Thomas Knebel wrote:

> I installed Quartz, because of the advice inside the readme
> "This release of Wireshark requires Macintosh OS X 10.5.5 or later and XQuartz (X11.app). If you are running OS X 10.5.4 or older, you can install using MacPorts or Fink."

What it *should* have said was "This release of Wireshark requires Macintosh OS X 10.5.5 or later, including X11.app. If you are running OS X 10.5.4 or older, you can install using MacPorts or Fink."

I.e., Wireshark does *NOT* require that you install the Mac OS X Forge version of X11-for-OS X; the version that comes with OS X is sufficient.  (There have been cases when there were X11 bugs that broke Wireshark that were fixed in the Mac OS X Forge XQuarts before it was fixed in a software update, but, currently, there are no such bugs in the Leopard or Snow Leopard versions of XQuartz.)

I've updated the readme in the trunk and in the 1.4 and 1.2 branches, so the next 1.2.x release and the 1.4rc3 release should have the fixed version.