Wireshark-users: [Wireshark-users] WS1.2.10; Mac OS X 10.6.4; Quartz 2.5.2; WS did´n come up

From: Thomas Knebel <thomas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2010 17:32:04 +0200
Hi WS-Users,

do have an issue installing WireShark 1.2.10 on Mac OS 10.6.4 (64bit) in addition to use Quartz 2.5.2

After the installation process and starting Wireshark a Wireshark Symbol come up in the Dock.. a little bit later a X11 Symbol comes up in the dock. Doesn´t matter on which symbol i klick getting a X11 Menuline, being able to open an X11 Terminal, but didn´geht any Window or anything else to use Wireshark.

Enclosed the installation process including some original outputs from the terminal window showing the installation results.

Any ideas to move further finding a solution?
Thanks a Lot in advance.

1. downloaded and installed quartz 2.5.2

2. Started the WS-installation process like instructed in the "Read me first.rtf" doc supported by the download.
 --> moved Wireshark app to /Applications
an ls of /Applications shows:
***** original output start *******
drwxr-xr-x   3 thomasxxxxx  admin   102B 29 Jul 09:47 Wireshark.app
***** original output END *******
containing all subdirs and the other stuff likewise inside the downloade Wireshark.dmg

3. copied the content of the command line folder from the Utility folder inside the Wireshark.dmg to /usr/local/bin
***** original output start *******
macbook:Contents thomasxxxxx$ cd /usr/local/bin
macbook:bin thomasxxxxx$ ls -alh
total 2360
drwxrwxrwx  25 root          wheel   850B  6 Aug 15:03 .
drwxrwxrwx   9 thomasxxxxx  501     306B 25 Jan  2010 ..
-rwxr-xr-x@  1 thomasxxxxx  wheel   482B  6 Aug 15:03 capinfos
-rwxr-xr-x@  1 thomasxxxxx  wheel   482B  6 Aug 15:03 dftest
-rwxr-xr-x@  1 thomasxxxxx  wheel   482B  6 Aug 15:03 dumpcap
-rwxr-xr-x@  1 thomasxxxxx  wheel   482B  6 Aug 15:03 editcap
-rwxr-xr-x@  1 thomasxxxxx  wheel   482B  6 Aug 15:03 idl2wrs
-rwxr-xr-x@  1 thomasxxxxx  wheel   482B  6 Aug 15:03 mergecap
-rwxr-xr-x@  1 thomasxxxxx  wheel   482B  6 Aug 15:03 randpkt
-rwxr-xr-x@  1 thomasxxxxx  wheel   482B  6 Aug 15:03 rawshark
-rwxr-xr-x@  1 thomasxxxxx  wheel   482B  6 Aug 15:03 text2pcap
-rwxr-xr-x@  1 thomasxxxxx  wheel   482B  6 Aug 15:03 tshark
-rwxr-xr-x@  1 thomasxxxxx  wheel   482B  6 Aug 15:03 wireshark
***** original output END *******
4. copied ChmodBPF to Startup Items
***** original output start *******
macbook:bin thomasxxxxx$ cd /Library/StartupItems/
macbook:StartupItems thomasxxxxx$ ls -alh
total 0
drwxr-xr-x   8 root  wheel   272B  6 Aug 15:21 .
drwxrwxr-t+ 61 root  admin   2,0K  6 Jun 02:37 ..
drwxr-xr-x@  5 root  wheel   170B  6 Aug 15:21 ChmodBPF
drwxr-xr-x@ 13 root  wheel   442B  6 Aug 15:21 Command Line
drwxr-xr-x   5 root  wheel   170B 25 Jan  2010 HWNetMgr
drwxr-xr-x   5 root  wheel   170B 25 Jan  2010 HWPortDetect
drwxr-xr-x   5 root  wheel   170B 11 Sep  2009 M-AudioFastTrack
drwxr-xr-x   4 root  wheel   136B 11 Jul  2008 globalSAN
***** original output END *******
rebootet
5. Checked rights of bpf devices....
***** original output start *******