Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Wireshark 1.0.14 is now available

From: Gerald Combs <gerald@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2010 09:03:10 -0700
Along with older system support there are a few other cases where you
might use Wireshark 1.0:

  - Your organization's software approval process is so strict and
    baroque that 1.2.x hasn't made the list yet. I know of at least
    one organization still using 0.99.6a.

  - You're a Linux distribution that packages 1.0 with a long term
    support release (such as Debian or Ubuntu).

  - You've integrated Wireshark with other software which isn't
    compatible with 1.2.

  - That blog post you read said to use 1.0.3 and you'll be damned
    if you're going to use some newfangled 1.2.9 piece of junk.

In any case the 1.0 branch will be partially or fully retired when 1.4.0
is released, depending on the needs of downstream Linux distributions.