Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] GPL and tshark

From: Jaap Keuter <jaap.keuter@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2010 15:59:28 +0200
Hi,

This is considered using Wireshark/Tshark 'at arms length', hence is allowed by a non-GPL'ed program.

Thanks,
Jaap

Send from my iPhone

On 25 apr 2010, at 13:36, Idan Miller <idan.miller@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi everyone,

We are building a commercial application and wish to use tshark from it in the following way:
- wireshark will be installed sepearately from our application
- our application will use the command line interface to run tshark, giving it a captured cap file
- our application will parse the output and use the info from it

Will that be considered as breaking up the GPL?
As far as I understand, since executing tshark is running it "from arm's length", then this should be ok, is that correct?

Thanks,
Idan Miller