Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Looking for a portable sniffing-friendlyhub/switch

From: Kok-Yong Tan <ktan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2010 16:15:25 -0400
The differing number of twists per inch in each pair of wires (which is why each pair always reads different lengths when you apply something like a Fluke meter to the 4-pair cable) is what gives data- grade cables its basic resistance to RF interference for unshielded twisted pair (the shield provides additional protection for shielded twisted pair). If you untwist them beyond the 0.5" at the ends allowed by specifications, you're basically removing all such resistance to RF interference and introducing additional issues such as retransmissions, etc., that would skew your readings.