Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] mean opinion score

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2010 11:40:23 -0700
On Apr 12, 2010, at 8:16 AM, ankur aggarwal wrote:

> Can anybody help me in finding MOS through wireshark or any other s/w which work on my intranet. (offline mode).

Wireshark is software, not a human being, and thus cannot itself generate a mean opinion score; the same applies to any other software.

The mean opinion score is calculated based on *subjective* evaluations of sound quality by human listeners; see the Wikipedia article:

	http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mean_opinion_score

and the ITU-T recommendation to which it refers, P.80:

	http://www.itu.int/rec/T-REC-P.800-199608-I/en

You could, at best, have Wireshark play back the audio and have various listeners evaluate it, and then calculate the MOS based on their evaluations.