Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Looking for a portable sniffing-friendlyhub/switch

From: "RUOFF, LARS (LARS)** CTR **" <lars.ruoff@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2010 10:32:39 +0200
Hi,
thanks to all who have contributed!
First of all, i'd like to say that i fully understand the point of the TAP advocats.
But I should have added that most of my sniffing use cases are related to network or application layer stuff (mostly VoIP) on low bandwidth links.
So with this in mind, i go 100% with the comment of Martin and think that a port mirroring switch will do the job better for most of my needs.
(But i'm  still looking forward to use a tap sometime)

As for another provocative question to through into the arena, what's the difference between this one...
http://www.networktapstore.com/10-100-1000-TAP.asp
($1,095.00! *yuck*)

...and that one:
http://hackadaycom.files.wordpress.com/2008/09/tap.jpg?w=450&h=291
;-)

or for some more details:
http://thnetos.wordpress.com/2008/02/22/create-a-passive-network-tap-for-your-home-network/
http://www.enigmacurry.com/category/diy/

What are the limits of the second type of "solution" in practice?

Another question, purely technical:
When using a tap, what's the sniffing process:
Sniff simultaneously on 2 NICs on same PC (2x dumpcap), then merge the files with mergecap?

Any other hub/switch recommendations?

PS: I will add the info to the Wiki.

thanks,
regards,