Wireshark-users: [Wireshark-users] [Off-Topic] Announcing "Ostinato" - packet generator and analy

From: Srivats P <pstavirs@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2010 07:26:19 +0530
Ostinato
<http://ostinato.googlecode.com/>

Ostinato is an open source, cross platform packet/traffic generator
and analyzer with a friendly GUI.

A stated goal for the project is to be "Wireshark in Reverse" and thus
become complementary to Wireshark

Features
  * Runs on both Windows and Linux (Will probably run on other
platforms also with little or no modification but this hasn't been
tested)
  * Support for the most common standard protocols
    * Ethernet/802.3/LLC SNAP
    * VLAN (with QinQ)
    * IP, ARP
    * TCP, UDP, ICMP
    * More protocols in the works ...
  * Modify any field of any protocol (some protocols allow changing
packet fields with every packet at run time e.g. changing IP/MAC
addresses)
  * Stack protocols in any arbitrary order
  * User defined script to substitute for an unimplemented protocol
(EXPERIMENTAL)
  * Create and configure multiple streams
  * Configure stream rates, bursts, no. of packets
  * Single client can control and configure multiple ports on multiple
computers generating traffic
  * Exclusive control of a port to prevent the OS from sending stray
packets provides a controlled testing environment
  * Statistics Window shows realtime port receive/transmit statistics and rates
  * Capture packets and view them (needs Wireshark to view the captured packets)
  * Framework to add new protocol builders easily

A screencast showing basic usage is here -
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=On64lQYEFlY>
Screenshots are here - <http://code.google.com/p/ostinato/wiki/Screenshots>

Binary (Win32 only) and source packages are available now for the 0.1 release.

The wiki (http://code.google.com/p/ostinato/w/list) has
  * a User Guide to get you started (with a Quickstart section)
  * a HOWTO - write a (quick and dirty) script to substitue for a
missing protocol
  * Developer documentation on how to add support for new protocols.

I humbly invite the Wireshark community to participate in and
contribute to Osintato development. Like Wireshark protocol
dissectors, it is easy to add protocol builders to Ostinato - check
out the HOWTO (http://code.google.com/p/ostinato/wiki/ProtocolBuilderHOWTO)

I look forward to your feedback, queries and bugs on the mailing list
- ostinato@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Srivats P.
Developer, Ostinato