Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Looking for a portable sniffing-friendlyhub/switch

From: Martin Visser <martinvisser99@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2010 12:20:31 +1000
If you are going to funnel what would be a 1Gbps port into a 10Mbps or 100Mbps then you are going to affect any timing far worse than any port-mirroring.

All port-mirroring (or VLAN mirroring for that matter) these days is built into the switch ASICs. It will be either a hardware assisted copy of the packet buffer or even better just a copy of the pointer to the same buffer. Latency will be in measured in micro-seconds - and if fact be no different from the standard switching/routing operation.

Obviously if you are mirroring a duplex link you effectively are converting to a half-duplex stream. So if you are mirroring a port say with 500Mbps outbound (TX) and 500Mbps inbound (RX) that is going to become a 1Gbps outbound (TX only) stream on the monitoring port. So I agree there will be some shifting of packets as they are being interleaved. But for the most part is going to only a single packet delay. For a full sized 9000 byte jumbo frame at 1Gbps this interleaving delay is only going to be 72 microseconds (9000*8/10^9). I don't believe there is any one that is going to require a analyse jitter or delay at any thing better than 1 millisecond, which is 10 times this packet delay. (I know there are some stock trading floor applications that are pretty time critical but I doubt delays less than a millisecond are going to be important).

So I would say for the 99% of people and applications port-mirroring is going to be better. You have a lot of a flexibility in being able to turn it on and off with no disruption to the production traffic. You can often mirror 1 or many ports and even whole or multiple VLANs, as well as allowing remote monitoring in some circumstances. Taps either need to be installed during an outage and left in-situ until a further outage can be arranged. Also the taps that I have used require two ethernet ports for monitoring as a tap separates out RX and TX traffic. This probably has the same potential interleaving issues in the wireshark or other sniffer that the port-mirroring will have.

Regards, Martin

MartinVisser99@xxxxxxxxx