Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Looking for a portable sniffing-friendly hub/switch

From: "Oldcommguy - Tim" <oldcommguy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2010 20:40:30 -0400

If you are serious about network monitoring and analysis – Get a TAP…..

Otherwise every packet you see has been modified in time, all bad packets have been dropped as well as short or long ones, so baseline studies and timing studies are not available with a switch.

One pays thousands if not millions for a network…even in your home – use a TAP or it is just not real !

Saw 2 0r 3 on Ebay…just do not waste the money on a switch unless you understand what it is doing to the data/packets.

Good luck…

Tim O’Neill  - The “Oldcommguy™”

B.T. Solutions, Inc.

Phone – 770-640-0809

Website - www.lovemytool.com

e-mail – Tim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Please honor and support our Troops, Law Enforcement and First Responders!

All Gave Some – Some Gave All!