Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] To many STP protocol

From: Ian Schorr <ian.schorr@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2010 19:18:42 +1000
A common mistake is to assume that seeing lots of broadcasts traffic
in a trace = a high rate of broadcasts.

Let's say I took a trace and out of 100 packets, 50 of them were STP.
That might seem like a lot.  50% of my traffic is STP!  But if my
trace is 100 seconds long, that means that I'm seeing one tiny STP
packet every 2 seconds, which would NOT be a lot.  Basically, the more
"idle" the link you're monitoring is, the higher the RATIO of
broadcasts to unicast traffic will tend to be.  Psychologically,
newbies tend to interpret these as "floods" or "lots of traffic" when
they're not even close.

-Ian