Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Using LTE-MAC over UDP heuristic

From: Martin Mathieson <martin.r.mathieson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 15:59:54 +0000
Hi Raju,
The UDP heuristic dissector isn't for use with dct2000 (now known as IxCatapult) .out files, its a separate way to supply the MAC dissector with the info it needs.

There is a sample C problem linked from the MAC-LTE wiki page that will send MAC frames over UDP with the header format that the heuristic dissector understands.
- that program can send frames to a given machine name or IP address, where Wireshark can capture those UDP frames in the normal way
- there is a pattern on the front of the UDP payload that matches what the heuristic dissector is check for
- it parses the UDP framing info to get the context the MAC-LTE dissector needs in order to fully decode the frame that follows

The program is BSD licensed, and the intention was that you could build this functionality into your equipment that deals with MAC frames and configure it to send to a machine running Wireshark.

The alternative is to have Wireshark understand MAC frames from a special file format, which is what I did with our .out files.  I wouldn't recommend you try to use the .out file format if you're not using IxCatapult equipment.

Hope this helps,
Martin