Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] jitter calculation example on wireshark wiki

From: "RUOFF, LARS (LARS)** CTR **" <lars.ruoff@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2010 14:20:14 +0100
>  If i run this at centralized place i.e Astersik pbx: will it give some additional information. I mean its hard to get end to end jitter but if i run it on centralized server than i can have both sides RTP.so is it possible using wireshark to just tell wire shark to calculate the jitter of both sides.

Capturing on a central media point will only give you the incoming jitter on all segments. (Are you sure that RTP really goes through your central point? Usually RTP is sent directly between media endpoints.)

But if you assume symmetric conditions, that will give you a good overall picture.

>   Can you explaing this line -> network jitter is symmetric ?
With "symmetric" i mean same conditions on direction A-->B as for B-->A.
While this assumption is probably true in most cases for the mean (average) jitter over time, it is probably not true for the jitter at a given particular time.
But usually average values is all that you want.

Regards,
Lars