Wireshark-users: [Wireshark-users] MTU - wireshark showing length longer than.

From: Ant Mitchell <ant@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2009 16:27:33 +0000

Hi,

I am new to wireshark and TCP diagnostics in general. I have a problem with a HP procurve switch that I am trying to diagnose.

I have removed the switch from my config, and now have an xserve plugged into a centos box, both running 10gb myricom cards.

Both ends have flow control enabled, and an MTU of 9000. I have double triple checked this.

I have been running netperf tests across the link, mostly from the xserve to the centos box, and I see wireshark report packet lengths way in excess of the mtu. The throughput I am getting is about 2900 Mbps.

How is the packet length being reported so large ?, sometimes these large packets seem to get acked and sometimes they don't , resulting in lost segments.

The same large packets appear in tcpdump also, so its not a bug in wireshark.

What should I be looking at ?, how does the packet size get larger than the MTU ?. A typical size is 8960 for several packets, then 17960 and 20456 and several inbetween.

Thanks

--
Ant