Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] wireshark and matlab

Date: Fri, 6 Nov 2009 15:12:40 +0100
>> haneugen@xxxxxxxx wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > is there a import or export available to further process data captured using wireshark with matlab?
>> >
>> > Cheers,
>> > hne
>> >

>> Hi,
>>
>> That more or less depends on what kind of input matlab requires.
>>
>> Wireshark has several export formats, as does tshark, or maybe even rawshark.
>>
>> Thanx,
>> Jaap

Hi,

I must admit I am rather new to wireshark, thus I just used the export function of wireshark to export (producing a cvs file) the data, which made it a rather difficult job to process the exported file. Matlab lets you read numerical data from an ascii file into a matrix, where rows are separated by \n and columns by a white space. Thus to process TCP data it would be helpful to be able sperate the values contained within the info/summary-field into different columns, e.g. source port, desination port, window size, length, ACK-number, Flags, RTT (which I think is not possible on a per packet base).

Cheers,
   Martin